A Brief Timeline of Moments We Remember Well
This brief list is meant to share moments and benchmarks that reflect our growth from an all volunteer community organization, to a growing nonprofit committed to advancing our mission on an ever larger scale.
- We incorporate as a charitable nonprofit organization in May.
- Doug Tallamy gives the inaugural lecture for our Evenings with Experts at the Cambridge Public Library in June. The event is co-sponsored by six other groups in metro-Boston.
- We commence our Gatherings, for members to share knowledge and learn from each other
- We receive our IRS 501(c)3 determination in January.
- We begin our Traveling Talks program in March.
- Evenings with Experts is significantly expanded to 5 lectures per year.
- We hold our first Festival Floralia in May, a plant sale and fundraiser that continues for three years.
- We adopt our mission and vision statements, and complete our first strategic plan.
- We implement significant technology capacity essential to growth—integrating our organizational database with our eNews distribution and credit card processing.
- June: We rent office space at the UMass Field Station in Waltham, MA— moving operations out of our founder’s house.
- We hire our first staff person in August, to support our incredible volunteer run programs!
- We hold our first Native Plant Sale structured in its current form, modified from the Festival Floralia model.
- Evenings with Experts is changed to four lectures per year and we begin videotaping programs for free distribution on our website.
- We start work on our Demonstration Garden at Beaver Street, with a significant invasive removal project and reclaiming a 1-acre garden formerly used by a wide variety of horticultural groups.
- Our Evenings with Experts lectures are now averaging over 155 participants per event.
- We initiate a campaign for growth and hire a second staff person.
- We complete major planting projects in our Demonstration Garden.
- We begin a Workshops program for in-depth training.
- Our fourth Native Plant Sale sold almost 4,000 plants representing 132 species, and we filled 80 pre-orders for members.
- Our Evenings with Experts lectures have now been attended by 3,914 people since inception, with even more viewing our videos.
- Our Traveling Talks this have now reached 71 communities with 3,296 people participating.
- Our annual budget grows to $153,000.
- Is still in progress. Stay tuned!