Thank you to everyone who came to the sale! It is wonderful to see interest in this event continue to grow by leaps and bounds. Each year we work hard to safely accommodate more shoppers and increase our plant offerings. We are lucky to have a dedicated leadership team of staff and volunteers who bring diverse skill sets and invest significant time to make this sale happen. Three cheers for the Plant Sale Committee!
Our annual Native Plant Sale is one of the largest and most eagerly anticipated events we run. It was conceived as a way to give our community access to a quantity and diversity of native plants rarely found in a single retail setting. Since we started this sale, we have been able to increase the number of plants we sell each year five-fold— growth that is both very rewarding to see and challenging to sustain. The sale is powered by our staff and numerous dedicated volunteers who, along with many of those who come to shop, are brimming with enthusiasm for native plants and knowledge to share.
Highlights of our 2023 Plant Sale
Thank you to all who helped us run a successful sale this year— especially our many volunteers and all of our members and customers!
- We sold 5,255 plants representing 141 native species, including several that are hard to find so we had them custom-grown. Those included Eupatorium hyssopifolium (hyssop-leaved boneset), Monarda punctata (spotted bee balm), and Solidago puberula (downy goldenrod), among many others.
- As part of our Pre-Sale for members, we sold 26 trees. Some popular species were Prunus virginiana (chokecherry), and Quercus coccinea (scarlet oak).
- Our 52 super hard-working volunteers contributed over 700 hours of work— unloading wholesale orders; sorting, labeling and watering plants; helping customers with plant selection, and more
- An estimated 1,200 people of all ages came to the sale. We love welcoming multi-generational family groups and meeting the friendly dogs who join the fun.
- Thank you to all of our members! More than 300 of you gave a membership gift in the two months leading up to the sale. This support, combined with general plant sale revenues, netted over $75,000 for our programs year-round.
Our Plant Sale Species Directory
Want to learn more about what plant species we have offered at our sale? Take a look at the new guide we are developing! It is a spreadsheet that lists the basic characteristics of each species, including preferred light conditions, bloom time, and more. This reference is still a work in progress, and we plan to keep expanding and fine-tuning it.
Tip: In the lower left corner of the spreadsheet you can click on pre-sorted tabs showing sun and shade plants.
Remember! Not all of these species will be available every year. We will post our 2024 list 7-10 days before the sale date, once plant availability is confirmed by our wholesale suppliers.